This is a place where I can vent about certain frustrations. And occasionally, there may be a happy story. B/c life IS good.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

I Quit!

Well, that didn't last long. After twelve long years at my job, I gave them notice the other night. I just walked up to the manager and was like, "How do I go about quitting?" He just told me to write something down and give it to one of the managers, and asked if I was going to give two weeks notice, or not come back at all. It was a Wednesday night, and I told him I'd work through that Saturday, since it's the busy time, but wouldn't finish up my schedule for the next week, which was already written.

I knew going in that night that I was going to quit, but it became even more important when I was notified that they had changed all of the cashiers' schedules for that week. So, instead of working Saturday night, which was perfect, since Dan worked that morning, they now had me on for morning. "No way!" I said. I told Doug, the manager, that this was no kind of notice for me to give my mother, who is really the only person who's ever watched Nathan, that we now needed her in a couple of days to watch him. I told him I was going to work my original time. It was also a bit annoying to me that when I got to the "front end," my name was crossed off the schedule, and nobody knew why. The head cashier that was on didn't expect me to show up, though. Maybe this was b/c I was SICK the whole week before, and had to call out the last two times I was on? Well, I have NEVER just not showed up for my shift, and these people obviously don't know me from some new kid that doesn't give a crap. I hated (for the most part) being stuck up on that front end, having to ask when I get to have my lunch, if I can go POTTY, and when I get my fifteen minute break. But, that doesn't mean I wasn't good at my job, giving every customer great service with a smile, doing everything I could possibly do to keep the public happy that they chose my store. The management is too stupid to see that I belonged in my original department, which at this point, I COULD RUN!

So, they'd obviously rather pay some kid who doesn't know crap four dollars less an hour than it took me twelve years to make. Who cares if I know why a Weber grill is awesome? These new kids can simply point to the grill section when asked for help and say, "the grills are over there." Now, that's the kind of knowledge I want when I am trying to make a decision about a big home purchase!

Bye the way, not one manager came up to me to ask me why I was leaving, or to wish me good luck, nothing. That place has changed so much. I'm so glad I'm out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home