This is a place where I can vent about certain frustrations. And occasionally, there may be a happy story. B/c life IS good.

Friday, November 24, 2006

My Turkey Dinner

So, we were at Dan's parents' house for Turkey Day, and it was, as usual, interesting. It was a small group for dinner, since Dan's one brother and his wife and child were at the wife's parents' for dinner. I guess as usual I said to much, b/c once again my FIL said something to me to reiterate the fact that he really doesn't like me, or think I am fit to be married to his son. Which is kind of funny, b/c he barely says two words to his son. Anyway, we were talking about certain traits a man can have, such as being set in their ways and not wanting to try anything new, and I merely said, "Dan's not like that. I lucked out." Which I did. And my wonderful, loving FIL says, "Yes, you did." Now, I didn't really know if he had said yes I did, or I didn't, so I asked him. I said, "Did you say I did or I didn't?" He goes, "I said you did. Why would I lie?" And silence fell over the crowd. I really just wanted my hubby to say, "I did, too." But he didn't. He doesn't make it a habit of standing up to his dad when he's been a real asshole. Or any other time, really. I guess he doesn't think like I do, but it would have been nice for someone to say. So, I said it, quietly, and looked at Dan and told him, also quietly, that it would be nice for him to say he lucked out as well. After dinner, and after a few not-so-happy looks in Dan's direction, he told me he was sorry, that he loves me, and he does think he's lucky to have me. That's great, but I really wanted his FATHER to hear those words. Now I just feel like the time that has gone by since the rough start we had with his family never made a difference. I still feel like I'm sitting there, in front of his parents, on trial, asking why they don't think I am good enough for Dan, and his father actually coming back with an answer. But that's a whole other story. And just so you all know, I never did anything to deserve this treatment. And I have about had it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Happy said...

((((Amy))))...the parens signify a hug in the e-world if you didn't know.

I'm sorry that it didn't go better at Thanksgiving. I think that love is a precious thing (& really not that common) and that the two of you are BOTH lucky to have found one another. I'm out here sending you good vibes.

7:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a bit behind on my reading, amykat, but as far as I'm concerned, you both are lucky to have each other :-) Don't let your fil get you down, you know part of it could be that he's just a grumpy old man!
Anyway, the inlaws don't matter, what matters is your husband loved you enough to marry you irregardless of them...even if he doesn't always say what you want him to, if his parents weren't thrilled, that just means he stood up to them in the biggest way possible!
*hugs*

10:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home